1884 The founding year
In 1884, the handweaver Johann Obberluggauer, originally from Lesachtal in Carinthia, bought a small plot of land for setting up a loden production.
1886 The first years
Johann Oberluggauer died in 1886. His most proficient employee, Johann Maierhofer, married Oberluggauer’s widow and from then on led the company until 1919. During this time, the business premises were expanded and new properties were acquired.
1919 Josef Leichtfried joins the company
In 1919, Josef Leichtfried did an internship in the dye house of the Maierhofer fullery. In the same year, he married the company owner’s daughter, Karoline Maierhofer. Josef Leichtfried originally came from Göstling an der Ybbs in Lower Austria, where his father operated a linen and loden mill.
1930 Prince of Wales
In the pre-war years, the premises were continually expanded to be able to meet the increasing demands for Leichtfried Loden, which by then had already become popular beyond Styria. An Austrian newspaper from 1935 stated that the Prince of Wales had bought a jacket from “Leichtfried pearl loden“ in Kitzbühel.
1945 The post-war period
From the end of World War II until 1969, the company was directed by Josef Leichtfried together with his two sons and daughters.
During this time, the priority was to make construction investments. Thus, large, bright production halls were built which enabled a modern production. In 1959, what had previously been a sole proprietorship was converted into a family limited partnership.
1965 Woolmark Partnership
Leichtfried is one of the worldwide first companies to become a Woolmark partner. The Woolmark trademark is internationally known as a quality award for wool production and constitutes a full quality guarantee for traders and consumers.
1969 Takeover by the 3rd generation
In 1969, the director, who passed away in 1974, handed down the company management to his son Josef, who had completed the renowned training as textile engineer in Aachen.
As personally liable director, Josef Leichtfried from then on led the company in its third generation. The most important decision at that time was the focus on quality instead of quantity and the specialization on high-quality woollen fabrics.
1983 Dr. Josef Leichtfried takes over the company in its 4th generation
Dr. Josef Leichtfried takes over the company in its 4th generation: In 1983, Dr Josef Leichtfried, whose key priority was the internationalization of the company, took over the company management in the fourth generation. A further asset was added to the high quality of the products: the particularly beautiful and seasonally advanced colors.
1984 Cooperation with Helmut Lang
The company celebrates its 100th anniversary and makes its first attempt to establish itself in the world of French fashion and couture through a cooperation with the Austrian, France-based designer Helmut Lang.
1989 Investments in the future
The company renews the finishing department to be able to produce even finer and higher-quality fabrics and thus meet the high quality requirements of its clients.
In the years to follow, key company departments are equipped with the latest machines and the historic factory premises are fundamentally renovated.
2013 The fifth generation
With Josef Maximilian Leichtfried, the fifth generation of the family joins the company. Investments and the modernization of the machine parks are further advanced.
2015 Austrian Textile Company of the year
For the first time, the company participates in the world’s biggest apparel textiles trade fair, the Première Vision in Paris. This is due to the upward trend in the demand of internationally operating clothing companies and fashion labels for Leichtfried fabrics.
Because of their special achievements and international success, the Leichtfried mill is honored with the award of Austrian Textile Company of the year 2015.